By Ron Jennette, President & CEO
In this blog post, let’s explore the second of the five ICARE values that guide all MRC communities. To briefly recap, ICARE stands for Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respectand Excellence. In each of our communities, ICARE is a primary focus for recruiting, training and employee evaluations. We believe ICARE symbolizes “hospitality with teeth.” It gives life to the care and services we provide to our residents daily. So we reward employees who live and breathe these values.
Now let’s examine the importance of the “C”, which stands for Compassion. In the MRC system, we look at compassion as fully embracing others for who they are and where they are at each point of their lives. Compassion touches all areas of the wellness spectrum, including emotional, social, spiritual, intellectual, physical, environmental and occupational. In so doing, compassion or the lack thereof, greatly impacts every one of our residents and each of our team members on staff. So it is a major determinant in the culture at each of our communities.
When we discuss compassion in our internal meetings and training sessions, here are some of the things we hear:
- Compassion means we truly listen to others to really understand them, not talk “at” them.
- Compassion requires each of us to be considerate of others, even if another is inconsiderate to me.
- Compassion means I offer and lend a helping hand, irrespective of others doing so for me.
- Compassion is looking for ways to go above and beyond to touch other lives in a positive manner.
- Compassion means honoring diversity, as we are all individuals who all count and all matter.
- Compassion also means trying to anticipate the needs of our residents, visitors and teammates.
- Compassion means appreciating that God has placed others along our path for our personal growth.
- Compassion is making others feel better after an interaction with us.
- Compassion understands that now is the time for kindness, because tomorrow is an unknown.
- Compassion makes us alive and awakens others.
- Compassion gives meaning and heart to life.
One of the greatest blessings I’ve enjoyed at MRC is seeing employees who exhibit such a high level or degree of compassion for residents and other staff that it warms my heart. There are many wonderful, caring people in this organization who I believe must certainly be bringing a smile to God’s face. Interestingly, these seem to be the happiest, most contented and fulfilled individuals. They have figured out that making a positive difference in the lives of others brings the greatest intrinsic reward of all. These staff are truly following the in the footsteps of Jesus, and what a joy and blessing it is to see it in action. While many in this world continue to relentlessly search and artificially pursue the seemingly allusive feelings of contentment, joy and happiness, these staff are among the truly wise.
Without compassion we would just be existing, going through the motions. With compassion we are truly living and making the world around us a better place. Fully embracing each other opens up the world to us in ways that would otherwise remain unknown. It raises awareness and that leads us to value what is truly important in life, while rendering insignificant any negativity that surrounds us.